Smart Sensors generate and receive data and information which goes beyond traditional switching signals or measured process parameters. They therefore enable substantial increases in efficiency, more flexibility, and better planning security for predictive plant maintenance. Depending on the requirement, Smart Sensors cover up to four dimensions of Smart Sensor technology.
1.) Enhanced Sensing
- Fault compensation for stable and reliable sensor signals
- Predefined detection modes for fast commissioning
- Advanced adjustments for reliable detection
- Manual adaptation of the detection parameters for
individual application solutions
- Active installation and alignment aid by the sensor
2.) Efficient Communication
- Dynamic recipe changes for highly flexible production systems and batch size 1 requirements
- Fast plug-and-play device replacement with automated download of the valid parameters into the sensor
- Integrated digital communication for signal transmission without loss
- Cost-effective wiring with IO-Link
- Electronic parts lists for convenient electronic plant documentation
- Sensor self-monitoring during setup and operation for complete transparency and pre-failure notifications
- Process monitoring for the prompt display of faults in the process flow
- Predictive maintenance reduces service costs and prevents unplanned downtime
- Reliable measurement results secure production quality
4.) Smart Tasks
- Easing the burden on machine controllers via remote signal evaluation within the sensor
- Faster signal detection and processing as raw data does not need to be transmitted to the control
- Smart Tasks deliver the information that the plant process actually requires – no separate data preparation necessary in the control
Smart Sensors provide the essential input for every process chain: information for the intelligent factory in Industry 4.0. All sensors include “Enhanced Sensing” and “Efficient Communication,” whereas “Diagnostics” and “Smart Tasks” are optional dimensions of Smart Sensor technology. We have summarized an overview of the most important Smart Sensor product families for you. The “Smart Tasks” shown here as examples can also be applied to other Smart Sensors or be complemented by tasks programmed according to customer specifications.
Download the Smart Sensors Brochure from SICK to see our entire portfolio.